Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Things that I have been up to for the past month....


For my MIL's 50th b'dae, I made her this chocolate mango and coconut cream cake which is just so light and refreshing. Since I know everyone who were going to devour this cake (i.e my in laws) will appreciate it if it is a healthy cake, I braved it out with light coconut cream, using genoise instead of sponge layers etc. It turned out fantastic, the mango and coconut flavours fused so very nicely and it was just perfect for a spring b'dae.

Made this for Sandy's (my cousin in law's) early morning b'dae celebration with the youth group at a park by the Brisbane river. It was just a simple reliable chocolate banana cake recipe that I had used many times. It's a great recipe to use up overripe banana and the addition of bananas contributes to a moist cake even without the use of milk. Even people who are not allergic to dairy products gave it the thumbs up.


This was designed and made especially for my beloved SIL, Becky,in celebration of her belated 21st b'dae (which supposed to be on the 6/12/08). The cupcakes were rose flavoured with a lychee filling and topped with raspberry cream cheese frosting. The addition of almond meal kept this cupcakes moist for a longer period of time too. Being a non cupcake lover, I actually tasted one and thought about keeping this recipe for future use again.

So even though I haven't been blogging much, I have been fairly busy in my kitchen with the b'daes, trying out new recipes and also to satisfy the baking bug in Tashy who regularly pester me to bake something with her. With the weather getting warmer by the day, I sense myself growing distance with my oven. Been working on non baked recipes such as coconut apricot balls which has always been a favorite of Josh. Its such a easy and healthy snack to make with just the addition of diced apricots, dessicated coconut, peanut butter, honey or condensed milk, sesame seeds, rolled oats and you just have to roll them all together. If it doesn't come together, just add more honey/ peanut butter (depending on how sweet/ peanutty you like it to be). If its too sticky, put in more seeds or grain. Roll them into little balls and keep refrigerated. They were so yum that half the tray was gone before I can put them into container for the next few mornings' morning tea!

No comments: